To my surprise, I saw a mistake. How did I miss it? I even posted the photo blunder on my Instagram. It’s super obvious! I’m not sure how I missed it. I wonder if you saw it immediately, or If I pointed it out to you? I should have had a half square triangle at the point of the star. Instead I sewed in a blue background square. That was a big oops.
I used a seam ripper to take out stitches in all directions surrounding the background square. I sewed in a new half square of blue and white in its place. Then I ironed the seam allowances in the correct directions so the block would lay flat again. Now the pattern made sense and I could get the quilt top in the frame for edge to edge quilting.
Let’s talk about the quilting.
The quilt looked like blue sky and strawberry jam. Everything about it was cheerful. I picked an all over edge to edge design of strawberry vines.
The strawberry pattern helped set the tone for a fun graphic quilt that was easy to sew up and has a lot of color impact. I chose a neutral white thread that would move across the quilt fairly well. It was most noticeable in the red blocks. Still not a stand out. You have to be about twenty inches away to see the white thread. For the most part you notice the design and texture.
When I hang the quilt in a display rack you will never notice the neutral thread. I like subtlety that brings you closer to a project. I also have a few insects stitched in to give a playful vibe to the quilt. If you come in much closer you will find a few motifs.
Seeing the quilt in the sunshine made my heart sing a little.
Next I trimmed the quilt square. I made the binding out of the white print backing fabric.
Then I stitched the binding with my machine and hand sewed it to the back of the quilt. I used a 2.5″ folded binding. Another fun, easy, graphic, quilt completed.